The South African Weather Service( SAWS) has issued a Yellow level two weather warning for scattered to isolated showers and thundershowers in response to the extreme weather over the Heritage Day long weekend that caused significant flooding in several locations throughout the Western Cape.
Read also: The most affected towns are identified by a study on the impact of Cape storm floods.
Widespread showers and rain are anticipated along the south coast from Friday into the weekend as a result of an aggressive high-pressure system, according to SAWS.
From Friday night into Saturday, a rainfall accumulation of 50 to 60mm( possibly reaching 70mm ) is anticipated over the Overberg municipality.
According to SAWS, the region is fully recovering, particularly in terms of disruption to drinking water and crop damage, because the rivers are still flowing quickly and the municipality is still recovering from the previous cut-off low pressure system.
The weather advisory is in effect from 10 p.m. on October 6, 2023, until Saturday at midnight.
Possible effects based on the weather include:
- mudslides and localized rockfalls
- localized farm dam wall breakage
- Driving conditions on dirt roads are challenging, and major roads may cause delays.
- Both formal and informal settlements, as well as localized road flooding, are possible.
- Possible localized and immediate disruption to crucial services
Several roads in the Overberg District are still closed as mop-up operations continue:
- Bridge over Buffelsjagrivier
- Peak Chapman
- Bridge, Drew
- Between Karwyderskraal and Hermanus is Hemel en Aarde.
- Caledon to Karwyderskraal( only accessible to locals )
- Hermanus to Karwyderskraal
- Pont Malgas
- McGregor to Robertson( high ground clearance vehicles may take a detour, such as Stormsvlei to Bushmanspad and Steenbokvlakte to Strykhoogtepas to Grootrivier Road )
- Long-term closure from N2 Caledon to Botrivier
- To Arniston, R316 Bredarsdorp
- Caledon to Hermanus in R320
- R321 Grabouw Vyeboom ( only stop and proceed with light vehicles )
- Stormsvlei to Greyton R406
- To Grabouw, R44 Arabella
- Kleinmond to Gordon’s Bay at R44 Clarence Drive
- Gordon’s Bay is reached via R44 Clarence Drive in Rooi-Els.
- Franschhoek Pass, R45
- McGregor to Robertson
- Pass Van Der Stel
- Draaiberg Road connects Villiersdorp and Caledon.
- To Riviersonderend from Buffelsjag
Is climate change to blame for the floods in the Western Cape?
Facebook and the Overberg District Municipality