Ten neighborhood dance groups will compete this weekend for R10,000 and the chance to perform at the V&A Waterfront’s annual Festive Lights Switch-On in Mother City.
Additionally, read: Put together your dance group and shine at the City’s Festive Lights Switch-On.
The City of Cape Town announced a dance competition in an effort to identify the top three crews for the annual Festive Lights Switch-On on November 26.
The competition received a total of 46 entries. This coming Sunday, 10 people will compete in the Dance Battle for top honors at the V&A Waterfront Amphitheater.
Who will perform on the main stage at the Festive Lights Switch On will be decided by dance professionals Blake Williams and Nkosinathi Sangweni.
Looking for activities in the city for half the price at Cape Town, etc.? Let these fantastic deals motivate you. Bring them over.
I want to thank the dance crews who took the time to submit their entries because this pre-event showdown was so exciting. We are excited to see what you bring to the stage, says Alderman JP Smith, the City’s Mayco member for safety and security, to those who will have the chance to participate in the dance battle.
The City also extends an invitation to the public to support these crews at the Waterfront event. One of the most well-liked ways to express oneself in our nation and city is through dance, so I have no doubt that this showdown will draw a packed house. There may even be some prizes for the general public while the crews compete for attention and cash prizes.
In no particular order, the dance teams that will perform are:
- Nyanga-based Blaqshandis Dance Crew
- From Bonteheuwel, 021_rebels
- Street_Kings, based in Mitchells Plain and Tafelsig
- Senior crew from Plumstead’s Dynamic Dance Co.
- Brackenfell’s Born Spartans Dance Arena
- Bonteheuwel native Kaapstad
- Based in Khayelitsha is Kulcha_ Wockeyz.
- Bonteheuwel’s Hood Hop/Swag Step Crew
- Ravensmead’s TENACITY Movement
- Diep River-based Creativeworks Dance Studio
The winning crew will receive R10,000, R5,000, and R2,000, respectively.
- Sunday, November 19, date
- From 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Location: Victoria and Alfred Waterfronts in Cape Town’s V&A Amphitheatre on Dock Road.
Trying to find a car deal but running low on cash? Check out these deals for less than Rs. 100,000. Here are the deals.
Turn on the festive lights to start the holiday season.
City of Cape Town image