Because La Colombe in Constantia received the highest rating of any restaurant in the nation, it was named Eat Out Woolworths Restaurant of the Year.
Read also: La Colombe was named one of the world’s top restaurants.
The Cape Town-based restaurant has won numerous awards, including TripAdvisor’s Best of the Best Restaurants Awards, which rank it among the best restaurants in the world. This award is just one of many.
The judges describe La Colombe as an “institute on South Africa’s fine-dining scene.” It has consistently won awards both domestically and abroad for its exquisitely precise and meticulously prepared menu.
Thank you to the Eat Out Woolworths Awards for this honor; without the zeal and commitment of our outstanding team, it would not be possible. James Gaag, Executive Chef at La Colombe, says,” This award is dedicated to the talented chefs on our team. I could n’t be more proud of them.”
I also want to thank everyone who has joined us for dinner over the past year. Their unwavering support inspires us to constantly strive to do our best. Our theater is based on food, and you are the star of the show.
Looking for activities in the city at a reduced cost in Cape Town, etc.? Here, you can find exclusive deals.
On Sunday night at the GrandWest Grand Arena, more than 800 people gathered to honor South Africa’s culinary prowess. Chief Judge Abigail Donnelly presided over a judging process that gave the nation’s top restaurants three, two, or one star.
The criteria covered every aspect of the dining experience, including the service, wine list, and ingredient quality. To win one star, restaurants had to score between 70 and 79 out of 100, 80 to 89, and 90 or higher to win three stars.
The winners of this year have shown a seamless blend of consistency, quality, commitment to development, and experimentation. According to Donnelly, we have witnessed both the young and the upcoming shine as well as the established legends generously sharing their knowledge and encouraging a wonderful sense of community mentorship.
The renowned businesses have bravely expressed their ideas tonight, enthralling customers with intriguing ingredients, distinctive spaces, first-rate service, and a genuine love for their craft.
With these fantastic car offers, all under$ 100,000, explore the Cape. Here are car listings.
The winners for this year are as follows:
restaurants with one star:
- Randburg, Johannesburg’s Acid Food & Wine Bar
- Somerset West’s Cavalli Restaurant
- The Maison ( Franschhoek )’s Chefs Warehouse
- ( Somerset West )CHORUS
- Creation Wines Tasting Room ( Hemel-en-Aarde Valley )
- ( Stellenbosch )Eike
- Avondale ( Paarl ) FABER
- Botrivier Farro
- ( Pretoria )Fermier
- The French currency ( Franschhoek )
- Johannesburg’s Les Créatifs Restaurant ( Bryanston )
- Stanford’s Madre Stanford
- Le Lude ( Franschhoek ) Orangerie
- Ouzeri ( Capta Town’s City Bowl )
- ( Stellenbosch ) Post & Pepper
- ( Franschhoek ) Protégé
- Rosebank, Johannesburg’s Proud Mary
- ( Stellenbosch ) Rykaart
- Johannesburg’s Houghton Estate,Séjour
- The Chefs ‘ Table (eThekwini, Umhlanga )
- Elgin’s Melting Pot
- Chefs Warehouse’s” The Red Room” ( City Bowl, Cape Town )
- The De Meye ( Stellenbosch ) Table
- Woodstock, Cape Town’s Test Kitchen Fledgelings
- Cape Town’s Waterside Restaurant ( V&A Waterfront )
- Cape Town’s Upper Union City Bowl
- Johannesburg’s Zioux ( Sandton )
restaurants with two stars:
- Cape Town’s Belly of the Beast ( City Bowl )
- Beyond Cape Town, Constantia
- ( City Bowl, Cape Town )lgr
- ( Franschhoek ) Epice
- Cape Town’s Foxcroft ( Constantia )
- Charlie Lakin’s Meraki ( Hillcrest, eThekwini )
- ( Cape St. Francis ) Nevermind
- Cape Town’s PIER ( V&A Waterfront )
- Klein JAN ( Tswalu ) restaurant
- Stellenbosch, Rust en Vrede
- Salon in Cape Town’s Woodstock
- ( Stellenbosch ) Spek & Bone
- Marthinus Ferreira ( Stellenbosch ) at the Jordan Restaurant
- The Summerhill Estate ( Pinetown, eThekwini )LivingRoom
- The Pot Luck Club in Woodstock, Cape Town
- Johannesburg’s Pot Luck Club ( Randburg, Johannesburg )
- ( Paternoster )Wolfgat
restaurants with three stars:
- Richard Carstens ‘ ( Franschhoek ) ARKESTE
- Beau Constantia, Cape Town’s Chefs Warehouse
- The evening ( Stellenbosch )
- FYN ( Capta Town City Bowl )
- Cape Town’s La Colombe ( Constantia )
- Franschhoek’s La Petite Colombe
- Salsify at the Roundhouse in Cape Town’s Camps Bay.
According to Eat Out brand custodian Aileen Lamb, 51 restaurants made the starred list this year, up from 42 the previous year. A testament to the development and growth of our restaurant industry. In 2023, eating out was such a privilege! I appreciate Abigail’s commitment to showcasing the best and advancing the industry from Joseph Dhafana, Marisa Munroe, Mokgadi Itsweng, Herman Lensing, and Karen Dudley.
Additionally, 14 special honors were given to specific eateries, chefs, and people. The Eat Out Birkenstock Chefs ‘ Chef of the Year Award and Dine Out Woolworths Financial Services Customer Service Award went to Ryan Cole, the head chef and co-owner of Salsify at The Roundhouse in Camps Bay.
The Eat Out Valpré Rising Star Award went to The Happy Uncles in Salt River’s Anwar Abdullatief.
The remaining special award winners are listed below:
- Eat Out Woolworths Sustainability Award: The Summerhill Estate ( Pinetown, eThekwini )LivingRoom
- Eat Out Woolworths Financial Services Service Excellence Award: Charlie Lakin’s Meraki ( Hillcrest, eThekwini )
- Eat Out Woolworths Wine Service Award: Bafana Zondo, The evening ( Stellenbosch )
- Eat Out Lexus Style Award: Klein JAN ( Tswalu ) restaurant
- Boma on Bree ( City Bowl, Cape Town ) won the Eat Out Retail Capital Best New Restaurant Award.
- Germain Lehodey received the Eat Out Highland Park Lannice Snyman Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Eat Out Cacao Barry Dessert Award: Motheba Makhetha, Marthinus Ferreira ( Stellenbosch ) at the Jordan Restaurant
- Eat Out Patrón Mixology Award: Franschhoek’s La Petite Colombe
- Eat Out Lexus Best Destination Award: ( Paternoster )Wolfgat
- Siba Mtongana, SIBA, The Restaurant ( V&A Waterfront, Cape Town ), Eat Out Woolworths TrailblazerAward
Roy Bagattini, CEO of Woolworths Holdings ‘ Group, says,” We saw these values in all the winners this year, and that makes us very proud to be the headline sponsor of the Eat Out Woots Restaurant Awards.”
The restaurant industry makes a sizable contribution to the economy at various points, including marketing, supplier acquisition, property rental, and formal and informal employment. It is a major source of income for many people. These awards are important because of this. The industry benefits when a restaurant, chef, or sommelier succeeds, which benefits the entire food and beverage supply chain.
Get a free entry discount of R150 to any three Cape Town attractions. Here it is.
The best of the best will be honored at the Eat Out Woolworths Restaurant Awards in 2023.
La Colombe Restaurant / Facebook image