To address the current egg supply shortage, Retailer Spar is collaborating with its private label suppliers and partners to investigate the feasibility of importing eggs from a number of Southern African nations.
Egg prices have increased significantly in South Africa as a result of what has been dubbed” South Africa’s worst avian flu outbreak ,” and some retailers, including Woolworths and Pick n Pay, have implemented rationing policies, according to IOL.
The high-pathogenic avian influenza( HPAI ), a bird flu that quickly spreads among infected flocks and results in high death rates, is currently rife in the nation.
Additionally, read: Despite no new avian flu cases in the WC, producers continue to be cautious.
To ensure a steady supply of eggs and lower the risks of shortages, Spar is actively working with suppliers and looking into various opportunities.
According to Jacques Roets, the Spar Group’s divisional commodities manager, discussions with several Southern African nations to potentially import eggs are part of this diversification strategy.
RCL Foods ( RCLJ ), according to Reuters According to J ), Rainbow’s poultry division had to slaughter 410 000 chickens.
Other players in the poultry sector include Astral Foods ( ARLJ ). According to the report, J) expressed concern that the outbreak was seriously harming a sector that was already dealing with South Africa’s electricity crisis and rising costs.
According to The Citizen, the department of agriculture, land reform, and rural development is facilitating the importation of fertile eggs for the broiler industry and working to expedite the vaccine registration process.
The publication cited the department’s spokesperson, Reggie Ngcobo, as saying,” The department met with vaccine registration regulators and the agreement reached is that the registration of vaccine will be fast-tracked but the safety, efficacy, and quality will not be compromised.”
Enjoy the best seaside views and the most worthwhile one-night stay in Cape Town for R1 699( valued at R 2 620 ). Here it is.
Retailers are taking steps to ensure that their customers can access and afford eggs as a result of the rising egg prices in South Africa.
Here is a list of the current egg prices for different online delivery services, as provided by IOL:
- Nulaid eggs are available from Checkers for prices ranging from R26 to R30 for a six-pack of free-range eggs and R56 – R70 for an 18-priced jumbo egg.
- Additionally, Happy Range eggs from R30 to R99 are offered by UberEats in six – to 18-packs.
- Pick n Pay has a variety of options, including six-pack Eggs for Africa medium eggs( R20 ), large PnP eggs for R23, and jumbo eggs from R28.
- Shoprite sells six-pack free-range eggs for less than R30 and 18 packs for R70 to R75, both of which are from the Nulaid and Solitaire brands.
- Despite rationing, Woolworths offers a variety of egg options, including six packs of mixed-sized eggs for R25, six-packs of free-range large eggs, and six pack extra-large eggs. Their free-range jumbo eggs cost R48.
With these fantastic car deals for less than R100 000, you can explore Cape Town and its surroundings. Here are car listings.
In Stellenbosch, Pick n Pay introduces a zero-waste store pilot.
Morgane Perraud / Unsplash image